Popular Posts

Wednesday 6 July 2011

Running for a cause!

Let’s then start with a project for the rest of the year: I’ll be running a marathon this year, probably on the 31st of October (The Dublin Marathon) and I’m planning on doing a “Kilometer-sponsored-run” which basically means that you can sponsor me and contribute with a certain amount by km (still to be decided).

I’ll try to find an intermediary institution (like a foundation) where the money should be transferred to and then after the marathon there will be two options: (1) either I’ll send that money directly to a social institution or project chose by those contributing (you can give me your opinion and I’ll send out a survey, afterwards). My objective is to donate the money to a smaller institution and not a big one (those have plenty of donours already); (2) or open up a Kiva account (http://www.kiva.org/about) and loan money to social entrepreneurs who are setting up businesses with a clear impact on the community. Once they repay the loan (usually really fast, it’s a sort of microcredit), the money can be lent to another social entrepreneur, thus creating a sort of a network effect.

And now the best part! If you are interested in doing the same, why don’t you join me? You don’t need to run the Dublin Marathon, you can run another one, but still we can still join efforts and scale this up, find more sponsors and get some coverage. You only need a pair of snickers. Start training!

More information on the types of sponsorships and how everything will be managed will follow! This was just the teaser!

4 comments:

  1. Running the marathon?! I bet Google will sponsor. Is Guiness cheaper over there?
    Have you already adopted the morningly tradition of drinking Irish Coffee first thing in the morning, "to warm ya ôp fôr the day?" How "warmy" is it?

    ReplyDelete
  2. I bet they will for sure:P Cheaper? Nothing is cheaper around!I am still not drinking Irish Coffee! It's still too much for me:P It's not "warmy" at all! It's 14º and raining, bloody hell!:S I got it was you! Bota aí o núcleo a seguir-me!

    ReplyDelete