Popular Posts

Wednesday 6 July 2011

I have arrived in the city of Guinness!

This is it. My first official post about the “Irish experience”. As you know (or maybe not) I arrived on Monday, the 4th of July around 4pm. Well, if for US citizens the 4th of July is the celebration of the Independence Day, for me it’s not really an independence day celebration, but it has some independence flavour (I know I just said independence 3 times in the last 16 words, but I promise my writing will improve).

So as I was saying, I arrived and came straight to the hotel where I’m staying (actually it’s a guest house) in waterloo road. It’s a very nice and cozy place (http://www.waterloohouse.ie/). On the first night I met Maria, a Portuguese friend who started with Google last month and we went to a pub in the city centre to celebrate the birthday of a friend of hers. It was a regular Monday night, or so I thought. We started with a pint (Heineken actually, not Guinness), then a half pint and all of a sudden the birthday guy brought a tray full of tequila shots! Probably the first time I ever had one at 10pm. I met a lot of nooglers (i.e. new googlers). At midnight I was back to the Waterloo House, after walking for 30 min (10 of which alone without a map). And this was the first day.

On the 5th I pretty much walked around the city, sat down in a park reading and saw three houses. One of them really nice and I’m waiting and hoping they take me.

I also ran into Florian who studied with me in Rotterdam. Completely by chance!

First Irish Curiosity: The Irish alphabet has only 18 letters. There is no j, k, q, v, w, x, y and z.

No comments:

Post a Comment