Popular Posts

Wednesday 6 July 2011

Setting Expectations :)

Hey guys,
I’m sorry but “The Porridge Effect” had to be delayed for 2 days. Not because I’m Portuguese and thus leave everything for the last minute, but because I’m still homeless and as Abraham Maslow (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Maslow's_hierarchy_of_needs) defended a few years ago “One can only worry about upper needs, when the basic needs have been satisfying”. And clearly finding a place is more important (at least for now) than writing to you all. I never thought I would quote Maslow in such circumstances, but there you go.

Before my first official post, let me set some expectations for all of you who decide to follow me: (1) I won’t probably write every day, but I’ll try to do it as often as I can; (2) the purpose is to write about my every day experiences, life projects, news that interest me, and may interest my friends and stuff like that; (3) however, it will also have an educational purpose and therefore there will be weekly “Irish” curiosities, which may end up being complemented by “other-topic-related” curiosities; (4) Please send me comments and recommendations on what else you want to read and I may be able to write something about it; (5) the posts will be most of the times written in English and for the shorter ones I may translate to Portuguese. It’s not that I’m relegating my mother tongue to a lower importance level, but it’s just easier to write in English when one wants to get to a larger audience and has a large base of foreign friends (I know that sounds a bit cocky, but for those who know me, it’s really not). To compensate for the English here you go:

Isto

Dizem que finjo ou minto
Tudo que escrevo. Não.
Eu simplesmente sinto
Com a imaginação.
Não uso o coração.

Tudo o que sonho ou passo,
O que me falha ou finda,
É como que um terraço
Sobre outra coisa ainda.
Essa coisa é que é linda.

Por isso escrevo em meio
Do que não está de pé,
Livre do meu enleio,
Sério do que não é.
Sentir? Sinta quem lê!

Fernando Pessoa

1 comment:

  1. Não pude deixar de me lembrar de que Fernando Pessoa tinha também as palavras certas para descrever o início desta tua nova epopeia.
    Por isso aqui te deixo este bonito poema e com esta bonita imagem que ele tem o poder de nos trazer.

    De portuguesa para português, de sonhadora para conquistador...


    Horizonte

    Ó mar anterior a nós, teus medos
    Tinham coral e praias e arvoredos.
    Desvendadas a noite e a cerração,
    As tormentas passadas e o mistério,
    Abria em flor o Longe, e o Sul sidério
    'Splendia sobre as naus da iniciação.

    Linha severa da longínqua costa -
    Quando a nau se aproxima ergue-se a encosta
    Em árvores onde o Longe nada tinha;
    Mais perto, abre-se a terra em sons e cores:
    E, no desembarcar, há aves, flores,
    Onde era só, de longe a abstracta linha.

    O sonho é ver as formas invisíveis
    Da distância imprecisa, e, com sensíveis
    Movimentos da esp´rança e da vontade,
    Buscar na linha fria do horizonte
    A árvore, a praia, a flor, a ave, a fonte -
    Os beijos merecidos da Verdade.

    F.P.

    ReplyDelete